To share Jesus' love by equipping and advocating access through effective communication and leadership among the diverse deaf community.
About the Committee
In 1992, the General Conference of the United Methodist Church established the National Committee on Deaf Ministries as a mission initiative (renewed at each General Conference.)
As its mission expanded to include all people with hearing loss, the committee broadened its name to reflect the diversity of the population it represents.
It is now known as the United Methodist Committee on Deaf and Hard of Hearing Ministries or DHM.
The committee operates under the auspices of the General Board of Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church.
Ten members make up the Committee as follows: two people who are Deaf, two late-deafened, two hard of hearing, one DeafBlind person, as well as one deaf institutional ministry professional, and two clergy with experience in ministry with people who are Deaf, late-deafened, hard of hearing, and DeafBlind.
The Committee strives to be inclusive with regard to gender, ethnicity, jurisdiction, and different sign language and hearing abilities.
Read our General Conference authorization here.
If you are interested in joining us, please read the Member Guide.
- Rev. Willy Banza, Central Jurisdiction, hearing
- Bryan Branson, Western Jurisdiction, Deaf
- Rev. Dan Bryant, GBGM Board Representative, North Central Jurisdiction
- Mary Ann Deters, Southeast Jurisdiction, Hard of Hearing
- Mary Harris, South Central Jurisdiction
- Rev. Thomas Hudspeth, President of committee, Hard of hearing
- David Jessop, Baltimore-Washington conference, Deafblind
- Michelle Menefee, Interpreter
- Sandy Saunders, Northeast Jurisdiction, late Deafened
- Carol Stevens, Northeast Jurisdiction
- Lynn Swedberg, Disability Ministries Committee of the UMC
- Tim Vermande, Communications, post-paralytic hearing loss, North Central Jurisdiction
- Roy White, Northeastern Jurisdiction, Treasurer
- Rev. Leo Yates jr., Consultant, Northeast Jursidiction, hearing
Committee members and any others who plan to submit photographs or other illustrations for the site
should note that it is UMCom policy to have a signed release for any such use.
Click here to download the form for this use.